Huge Nutritional value and Medical benefits of Amlaki(Amla)! - healthforty
Huge Nutritional value and Medical benefits of Amlaki(Amla)! - healthforty
Nutritional value and benefits of Amlaki:
Amlaki (scientific name: Phyllanthus emblica) is a herbaceous fruit of Phyllanthus genus of Phyllanthaceae family. Its name is 'Amalika' in Sanskrit, english name is 'aamla' and 'Indian is gooseberry'.
The great creator has created innumerable things in the world for the welfare of mankind. Among such billions of creations, one fruit that is very beneficial for the human body and full of medicinal properties is called Amlaki. Amlaki is known to all as a native fruit. As it is cheap and readily available, it has many benefits. Both the leaves and fruits of the Amalki tree are used medicinally. This fruit contains a lot of vitamin C which is much more than other fruits and you will impressed that it has the property of destroying viruses and bacteria. So the role of Amalki is immense in building immunity against various diseases.
Preliminary research on amlaki has shown that it can destroy viruses and bacteria. Amalaki juice has some effect on rheumatoid arthritis and osteoporosis. Amalaki has been shown too be effective against numerous types of cancer and its impressive. Amalaki has antioxidant and anti-cancer properties. Studies have shown that amlaki inhibits the growth of cancer cells. There is evidence that amlaki can lower blood cholesterol-levels in humans. Amalaki helps in removing toxins from the body and reduces weight. Amalaki works very quickly in controlling high blood pressure. A study conducted on rats has shown that amlaki is also effective in pancreatitis. Amalaki is effective in healing damaged pancreas after pancreatitis. Experimental medicines prepared from the fruit, leaves and bark of amlaki have been shown to cure some diseases such as diabetes, cancer, inflammation and kidney disease. A study conducted on diabetic rats showed that amlaki juice can lower blood sugar levels and help restore liver function.
Amalaki contains a lot of vitamin-C or ascorbic acid (445 mg/100 g). However, there is disagreement about other ingredients and the main role behind the effectiveness of amlaki as an 'anti-oxidant' is not vitamin-C, but substances called 'ellagitannins' are believed to be responsible. For example:-
- Emblicanin-A (37%)
- Emblicanin-B (33%)
- panygluconin (12%) and
- Pedunculagin (14%)
- It also contains panicafolin, filanemblinin-A, B, C, D, E and F.
- Also this results in more 'polyphenols'. For example: flavonoids, kaempferol, ellagic acid and gallic acid.
- Levels of Vitamin 'C':
Amalaki has many medicinal properties. Both fruits and leaves are used medicinally. Amalki contains a lot of vitamin C. According to nutrition scientists:-
- Add 3 guavas to Amalki
- 10 times more than paper lemons
- 15 to 20 times more than oranges
- 120 times more than apples
- 24 times than mango and
- Contains 60 times more vitamin C than bananas.
Uses of Amalaki:-
- An adult human needs 30mg of vitamin-C for every 24 hour. This amount of vitamin C is available by eating two amlaki in a day.
- If you have aversion to food, surely eating Amalki will increase the taste of your mouth.
- Able to cure scurvy or toothache.
- Amalaki fruit is considered beneficial in liver and jaundice.
- Amalaki, Haritaki and Bahera together are called Triphala. Soaking these three dry fruits together for 6 to 8 hours in the night and mixing them all together in the morning on an empty stomach and straining them as sherbet cures any kind of stomach ailment.
- Its used to make different types of food oil, medicine oil etc.
- Apply raw amlaki bete juice on the hair every day and leave it for two to three hours. If you apply it like this for a month, the hair root will be strong, hair growth and premature hair growth will stop.
- Amalaki acts on the central nervous system.
- Works to stop vomiting.
- Amalaki extract is useful for getting relief from chronic cough and cold.
- It is a heart and brain booster.
- It keeps teeth, hair and skin healthy.
- It increases appetite.
- It is useful in polyuria.
- 2 drops of raw amlaki juice twice a day gives good relief when the eyes are swollen.
- Amalaki is very useful in removing hair growth.
- Eliminates the problem of hair dandruff.
- Consuming amla juice every morning works to prevent peptic ulcer.
- Amalaki powder taken daily with honey gives good results, (source Wikipedia)
The benefits of Amalaki are presented below in point form:
1. In the elimination of gum disease scurvy:
Scurvy is a well-known disease of the gums. Scurvy usually occurs due to lack of vitamin C in the body. This disease causes bleeding gums, sore gums, weakness, bleeding under the skin, pale appearance and bone changes. It contains a lot of vitamin C. So if one eats only 1-2 amlaki daily then he can get rid of these.
2. In the treatment of ulcers:
It is very difficult to find a person who is not familiar with the name gastric or ulcer. What people usually mean by gastric or ulcer is medically called peptic ulcer. Consuming Amalki regularly removes this stomach ulcer.
3. In the treatment of constipation and piles:
Amalaki contains soluble fiber. It helps flush out toxic substances from the body and aids in digestion. Its juice relieves constipation and helps to get rid of piles.
4. Amalki to eliminate hunger:
Eating amalki powder mixed with butter and honey before every meal removes hunger pangs.
5. To increase eyesight:
Amalaki is rich in vitamin A. So the fruit plays an effective role in increasing eyesight. Besides, it also plays a special role in preventing redness, itching and watery eyes. Mixing honey with amlaki juice and drinking it helps to increase the brightness of the eyes.
6. To relieve sore throat and cold:
Amlaki powder mixed with honey and taken 3-4 times a day helps to relieve sore throat and cold. Amalaki extract is beneficial for chronic cough and cold.
7. Reduce the risk of Heart-disease:
People with high cholesterol levels in their body are at high risk of heart disease according to doctor's advice. Consuming Amalaki helps to remove bad cholesterol and unblock arteries. So regular consumption of it reduces the risk of Heart-diseases.
8. Reduce blood sugar:
Studies have shown that amlaki contains polyphenols that protect the body from oxidative stress in the blood. It helps in the absorption of insulin in the body which helps in reducing diabetes.
9. To reduce body fat:
Amalaki can help to lose weight. Consuming it regularly increases the level of protein in the body, which helps in cutting body fat. Eating it improves digestion. As a result, people do not die. So if you want to lose weight try to eat Amalki daily.
10. To strengthen bones:
Amalaki contains a lot of calcium. It helps in strengthening the bones.
11. To clean the blood:
Amalaki is very effective in cleansing the blood. Its antioxidant content removes all toxins from the body. Regular consumption of amlaki increases hemoglobin in the blood.
12. For hair care and to eliminate dandruff problems:
Amalaki acts as a hair tonic. Eating Amlaki not only strengthens hair roots, but also makes hair grow faster. Amalaki plays a special role in keeping the hair free from dandruff and premature graying of hair. Eating amlaki juice mixed with honey every morning cures skin diseases. Moreover, playing it increases the brightness of the skin and does not leave any spots on the skin of the face.